with a host family is an excellent way to improve English and learn first-hand
about American culture.
The following resources are available for students
who are interested in living with a host family or renting a room in a family's
ANDEO is a non-profit organization that specializes in providing host families for international students living in Portland. A homestay is a unique opportunity to practice English, learn about U.S. culture and family life and share your own culture. ANDEO is located in downtown Portland, just a 10-minute walk from PSU.
All ANDEO homestays include:
- A carefully screened family that is ready to welcome you into their home and include you in their daily lives.
- A comfortable private room with access to a study area.
- All meals (self-serve breakfast and lunch, dinner with family)
- Easy access to public transportation. The average commute by bus or MAX is 45 minutes, no more than 60 minutes.
- Information about your host family prior to your arrival and orientation materials and an ID card that lists your host family information and the ANDEO office contact number.
- Airport pickup at Portland International Airport (PDX).
- Support from ANDEO staff members who will be available throughout your stay to help you get the most out of your homestay experience.
To apply for a homestay please contact ANDEO at least 45 days prior to your arrival. You must be at least 18 years old to participate in a homestay program.
For more information about ANDEO homestays, visit http://www.andeo.org/homestays-usa.html or contact ANDEO at 503-274-1776 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ANDEO's address: 620 SW 5th Ave, Suite 625, Portland, OR 97204
FOCUS: Friends for Overseas Citizens &
Tel: (503) 725-4196
Homestay Coordinator click here fs.elpidzo.com
FOCUS is a separate,
independent organization from PSU. FOCUS is a Christian organization
that has an office on the PSU campus.
FOCUS offers the following support
services for international university students in the Portland area:
short-term and emergency housing
- rooms for rent
- host families
- social and recreational activities
- Christian faith activities
is a Christian faith-based coalition of Portland community members, area churches
and campus ministries. FOCUS serves international students and professionals from
all religions, worldviews and nations and extends unconditional friendship in
the spirit of Jesus of Nazareth. FOCUS adheres to the ethical standards established
by NAFSA and ACMI. FOCUS is
a volunteer organization and is not employed by Portland State University.
More about American Host Families
The US is a diverse
society, and Host families in Portland reflect this diversity. Host families may
be of European, Asian, African, or mixed descent, and may or may not practice
a religion. International students should be open to experiencing America's multicultural
diversity and learning from their host family. Because of America's great diversity,
host family lifestyles and customs vary from family to family. Many different
types of families are interested in hosting international studentsthey may
include: traditional families; single-parent families; busy, young couples with
no children; and middle-aged or retired, individuals or couples with grown children.
While some host families offer a traditional family setting, and enjoy
sharing their lives and doing many things with international students, it is common
these days for families or individuals to rent out spare rooms to international
students as a way to make extra money. These types of households provide a more
traditional boarding experience.